I tried the Maya top pattern by Marilla Walker a while ago and found it a little too boxy. I recently decided to try the pattern again and realised what the fuss is about! Better late than never!
I sized down from my recommended size on the size chart as I wanted less ease. However, I knew I need the room in the sleeves from the larger size. I followed this tutorial from the curvy sewing collective adding 2cm on the front and back kimono sleeves. I cut the length of the sleeves at size 8 (the rest of the top is a 3) I also scooped out the front neckline a little more.
I made this linen version which was a GODSENT on our trip to Europe. It kept me cool and drip-dried overnight after being washed in the sink.
This pattern is PERFECT for using lots of lovely remnants and small cuts of designer fabrics like this crowded faced cotton lawn from Miss Maude. I only ordered 1 meter and have some scraps leftover.
Same pattern details as above. I finished the neckline with bias binding and a Kylie and the Machine label.
My latest version of this pattern was an exercise in recycling! The front panel was leftovers from my bias-cut skirt. I didn’t have enough for the back so I used some offcuts from a dress. Since the skirt of the dress was narrower than the top I couldn’t cut the top on the fold. Instead, I cut two back pieces with extra space to allow for a centre back band.
I added buttons from Arrowmountain to the centre back band for some interest. I don’t need to undo them but they add a nice detail. They are flat enough not to be annoying when I’m sitting down.
This top is my favourite of the three. I love the mix of fabrics and being able to use scraps in a creative way – one of my favourite things about sewing!
I know there will be more versions of this pattern in my future.