I wanted to share my two versions of the Holly Bomber Jacket. Better late than never – I made these in March and June!
My first version was in this check denim I purchased from Miss Maude. It is a gorgeous cotton rich stretch denim which is perfect for a bomber jacket. I added the 70s style collar that came with the Holly pattern. I lengthened the pattern pieces in the body by a few inches – the pattern is very cropped! I have a short waist and I love a cropped jacket, but I found it too short to be a useful jacket length.
I held the pattern pieces up to the mirror to figure out the additional length required. It’s a great quick way to figure out the proportions of a pattern.
The ribbing came from my stash as did the zip which I shortened to the correct length. I wish I had added pockets to this jacket – I will eventually.
The 70s style collar is very cool. I love wearing this jacket and it’s pretty economical – I managed to cut this from a meter of fabric and used a zip from my zip stash. I hoard zips – often purchased cheaply from clearance sales – so then I always have what I need on hand.
My next version of the jacket was made in a floral brocade that I purchased from The Fabric Shop Otara. I was drawn to the colours rather than the floral print. The print felt abstract enough for me as I’m not hugely drawn to florals.
I decided to make a matching set with a floral skirt. Perhaps it was my love of the show the Nanny that inspired this look.
This time I added front patch pockets and added ribbing around the neckline to anchor the print. I love how both pieces turned out. They are occasionally worn together but look awesome as separates.
I found the drafting of the Holly pattern excellent, but the instructions had me confused at one point. I just found this sew-along video which would have been useful to follow! Both jackets are size 42.
I hope you like my take on this pattern I really love wearing these jackets.