Green is one of his favourite colours to wear and he is a self-described ‘Dinosaur boy’ so I thought this fabric was perfect for him!
We were both thrilled when it arrived from Minerva – the quality is outstanding! I have never seen this brand of fabrics in NZ so I will be keeping an eye out on this range on the Minerva website. I think this fabric will wash and wear beautifully (hopefully) without ironing. I recently learned that Minerva offer free shipping worldwide when you purchase over £50 of fabric (International customers) £30 (UK). It makes fabrics like this more available to those of us in Aotearoa!
Paul loves wearing two-piece outfits for summer festival events. Being in New Zealand we have thankfully still been able to attend a number of festivals over the summer. We have a tradition that he gets a new outfit for our favourite summer beer festival. This year I’ve made him two two-piece-spectacular outfits the other one can be seen here.
The fabric is Art Gallery Fabrics Organic Cotton Poplin Fabric. The weight is perfect for a shirt – it has a beautiful drape and feels lovely and crisp. I haven’t worked with Art Gallery fabrics before but I will keep an eye out for them since the fabric is so lovely to wear and sew. The green is the perfect shade and the pop of neon yellow on the print is a fun touch!
This fabric is nice and fine so I use my favourite type of sewing needle a Microtex to ensure the fabric isn’t damaged during sewing.
I managed to squeeze this project out of 2 meters of fabric. I would probably buy 2.5 meters next time as I was dangerously short on fabric.
I used the Gosling shirt pattern for the button-up shirt. The pattern was released by Sew Sew Def magazine published by Mimi G. I have a full review of the pattern here . Spoiler alert I love this pattern it’s the fourth time I’ve made it.
The shorts are the Huy pants by Melilot. The pattern is designed for woven fabrics and is ungendered. The pattern has pockets on the front and the back. I removed the back pockets due to limited fabric but kept them in the front. I shorted the leg of the pattern to the desired length. The pants version that I’ve made are viewable here.
I wanted the fabric on the shorts to be sturdy so I underlined them in cotton twill. I glued the fabrics together using a glue stick. The resulting shorts will wear a lot better than if they were cotton poplin.
The beauty of making these garments as separates is they can be styled in lots of different ways. This shirt will look great with jeans or chinos for workwear. The shorts can be worn with t-shirts and add a pop of fun to a simple outfit. I know the shirt will become one of his favourite garments and will be envied by his co-workers!