I came across this stunning wool lurex fabric at The Wellington Fabric Store. I had just gotten a new job so I was feeling rather celebratory. In the instance, I thought to myself “Go girl! Treat yourself!.”
I tend to be a fabric scrooge buying fabric through fabric sales instead of full price. This is one of the most expensive fabrics I’ve purchased at $45 per metre NZD for 115cm. I have been excited to create a garment with it since.
As the print is bold I knew I needed to keep the cuts to a minimum. I decided on the Saunio pattern as I like the boxy oversized shape . To me, it reads playful and unexpected matched with this fabric. I was concerned that a fitted blazer – my original plan – might look a little 80s.
I made this jacket in size large. I extended the sleeve length by two inches and the sleeve width by 1.5cm grading from the armscre. My wearable muslin version can be seen here.
When I cut out the jacket the fabric started to fray, so I overlocked all the pieces before starting construction. I sewed cotton tape along the shoulder line to prevent stretching.
This pattern does not come with separate pattern pieces for the lining. I used the outer pattern pieces to cut out the bemberg twill lining. I stitched the facings to the front lining pieces. I then constructed the lining in the same method as the outer jacket. To attach the lining of the jacket and the outer together I sewed the facings (with the lining attached) to the outer edge of the jacket. I hand-sewed the lining to the hem of the sleeves and jacket.
I love my finished jacket. I wear it to work and for evenings out. It’s great having a few showstopping pieces in my wardrobe to pair with similar makes. We also found banana print fabric to make Paul a t-shirt. We are excited to go out together in our matching makes. Hopefully, people will think we make a great pair.