It’s been a long hot summer, especially in Paul’s office. His workspace is an ex-dance studio turned modern tech office. The space is boiling hot in summer and freezing cold in winter.
Paul wanted some shorts and wanted them a) yesterday and b) to be super comfortable for both sitting, standing and table tennis.
We decided on using the Hudson pant pattern by True Bias. Traditionally this is a sweat-pant pattern made in a stretch fabric with an elasticated waistband. Using my existing pattern we decided on a length and folded the long leg up to create a short pattern (I was too lazy to print and tape a second one). I graded up the size on most seams by 1.5cm to account for the shorts being in a woven fabric.
Paul has been living in these shorts. They are cool to wear in his hot office and are a great style on him.
Changes to patterns :
Increased seam allowances 1.5cm in most areas. For this type of short extra ease is better as the elastic brings in the excess fabric.
Topstitched down all the seam allowances for extra strength.
Used 30mm wide elastic I normally use 50mm for the Hudson pants.
Added bartacks at the corner of the pockets.
Sewed a second row of stitching down the inside of the seam allowance in the back.
There are a few things that I’m hoping I can improve on his next pair which I’ve noted below. I recently purchased a vintage men’s shorts pattern which I want to make him next time.
When Paul’s in a car his cell phone falls out of his pocket. This happens with his Hudson pants too. If the fabric is sturdy enough for his next pair of shorts I’d like to add a back pocket as he prefers his wallet in his back pocket.
He loves his shorts and calls them his toddler pants since they have an elasticated waist. He has been wearing mostly Emma made garments this summer. My makes are infiltrating his closet one item at a time.