I owned a motorcycle jacket which I wore for years until the pleather started to peel. As I was unable to buy a leather replacement I decided that making a version in fabric may be easier. I came across Butterick 6169 as a suitable pattern.
The pattern designed by Lisette is described as a semi-fitted, lined jacket with shoulder pads, seam detail, welt pockets, exposed zipper, and two-piece sleeves.
I purchased this lovely cotton twill from The Fabric Store. Sadly it was only a remnant so I knew I’d need to find another fabric for the inside facings. It took months to track down a similar coloured cotton.
I cut this jacket to a size 10. The fit was too big around the upper back and slightly too small around the lower hips. The pattern is made from lots of panels so it was easy enough to remove extra ease around the upper back by increasing the seam allowance and reducing the seam allow to .5cm at the lower back.
I decided not to include the welt pockets on my jacket as had read a number of reviews which mention that the pockets were small.
As this jacket was made from a remnant I didn’t have any fabric from the original fabric to allow for an inside bottom hem. Instead, I sewed the bottom of the lining to the bottom of the jacket. In these photos you can see the lining poking out from the bottom of the jacket. I will be altering this soon.
The lining is a rayon that I purchased from ClearIt, an outlet store which sells fabric in Melbourne.
It was originally used by Australian designer Allanah Hill. The print reminds me of Degas Ballerinas.
I love this garment and will wear it lots. It’s a versatile piece for both work and weekends.