When the Farrow dress was first released I wasn’t drawn to the pattern as my body shape doesn’t always suit boxy dresses. As time has progressed, I’ve been inspired by the other versions of the Farrow that have appeared on Instagram. Including these ones by Arrowmountain and Katilulemakes.
I made the Style Arc Mila dress a few months ago. It has similar front style lines to the Farrow dress and wasn’t as flattering as I hoped so I decided to try the Farrow.
I wanted to highlight the front panels with colour blocking. I used a remnant of pure black linen for the bodice and facings. For the sleeves, I upcycled linen from a top that I’d made Paul but didn’t fit correctly. The green linen for the skirt was purchased from The Fabric Store sale at the end of last summer.
I made a few alterations to the pattern as the seamline was sitting a little too low on my hip. My lovely friend Marta pointed this out. Thanks Marta! At the cutline I removed 3cm from the waistline on the front pattern piece only. Next time I make this dress I’ll add an extra 5cm to the hem to make it a bit longer. Instead of hemming the normal way I used cotton bias binding to make the hem as long as possible. This dress has a scooped hem which is visible from the front of the dress so the bias binding is lovely neat finish.
The other alterations I made to the pattern was to cut the neckline lower, I used the cut line on the pattern for size 0 and added 4.5 cm to the lower edge of the sleeve pattern piece. The dress is otherwise a size 6.
I have worn this dress lots! I can tell it’s going to become one of my favourite patterns. I’m planning to make a plain sleeveless version which can be worn all year round.