My overlocker is an essential sewing tool. Having owned it for a few years and having sewn a few hundred garments on it I thought it might be time to replace the blade.
I asked friends the following question : “How often should you replace the blade on your overlocker?”
Maryanne: When you get the feeling it is chewing not slicing your fabric!
Me: Hmm that’s what the internet told me! I’ve had my machine for 2 years and it’s had over 100 things sewn on it so it’s probably time for new blades?
So I decided to replace the blade. Here’s what I did:
- I ordered the blades for my machine from Trademe (The New Zealand version of Ebay)
- Found a flat head screwdriver (you might need a different screwdriver depending on your machine)
- Rotated the blade to get easier access to the blade
- Unscrewed the existing blade
- Replaced the old blade with the new one using the screwdriver
- Rotated the blade back to it’s original position and gave the machine a throughout clean.
The inside of the machine – Unscrewing /reattaching the blade
Let me know if you replace your blade on your machine. Did you notice a difference?